Spring has Sprung…Finally!
Spring has Sprung…Finally!
Spring is the Earth’s first breath of life and, now that we are into May, it is officially here. Spring in Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky and Dayton is a revival, which was a little longer coming this year, it seemed! This could be a revival for your house with spring cleaning or home improvement projects. This could be revival from bracing against the cold winter elements. People of all ages aren’t cooped up inside anymore. Just as excited about that as anyone else are the elderly.
With such nice weather it is a shame to stay inside. Here are some great activities for the elderly they can do outside:
- Gardening: Helping life grow and collecting a harvest a harvest is one of the most rewarding activities. It also helps you get in tune with nature. This is a fun and productive activity that can be done solitarily or as a group effort.
- Painting: Slowing down and observing nature is relaxing and beautiful. Painting can be an enjoyable afternoon spent taking in the sights and smells of the season while creating something beautiful. It can also be a nice change of pace and skill.
- Kite Flying: On a windy day, consider flying a kite. This activity can rekindle a lighthearted spirit and is just plain fun. It isn’t just for kids!
- Bicycling (or other exercise): There are many kinds of bicycles that can be found to suit any needs an elderly person may have. It is great exercise and a great way to enjoy the weather.
- Go to the Park: Visiting your local park, by yourself or with family, is always fun. They offer sweet treats, beautiful scenery and many different activities. The park is timeless. Spend some time exploring yours.
- Golf: Golf is another great activity for exercise for the elderly. You can enjoy a little competition and relaxation while experiencing the great spring weather.
Who says you can’t teach and old dog new tricks? Spring is an inspiring time to learn new things. Just because you or your loved ones aren’t familiar with these activities doesn’t mean you can’t give them a try! And for the days that aren’t so blissful as far as weather is concerned, (April showers do bring May flowers…) consider curling up with a good book and something warm to drink. You are never too old for a good story!
We love springtime are Carespring. Our hearts are light and so are our patients’. We encourage you to visit your loved ones whether they are in our independent or assisted living facilities or in transitional care or our nursing homes. Take advantage of this wonderful weather and walk and talk with them. We hope everyone is enjoying the season!